Monday, October 02, 2006

Oops, I did it again...

On Friday my employer, BenQ mobile GmbH & Co OHG, filed for insolvency. While this may not directly be related to my presence in the company, I cannot close my eyes to these facts:

  • I joined Quios, Inc., in October 2000. Five months later, they ran out of money and closed the business.
  • I helped building up Group3G in Germany, which was rebranded to Quam in 2001. The investors pulled the plug in July 2002.
  • I worked for SIEMENS' communication unit, which was handed over to an asian OEM supplier in 2005. A year later the owners stopped the funding. The name of the company: BenQ.

What do I learn from all this? First, and most important, never, ever hire with a company that carries a "Q" in their name. Unless you are very confident about their future. Second, it pays off to have some experience in life. The younger colleagues have been shocked very much by this, while I saw it coming in a way and was prepared for it. I just did not expect it to happen that fast. And third, six years of useless work can crush even the strongest person. I was in the middle of my Midlife Crisis when the news hit me last week, and it hurt. A lot.

But there is hope: now I know that I am pursuing a career on the photography market rather than looking for yet another corporate career. And rest assured - I'll keep you posted on the proceedings here. :-)

Read more here:
BenQ is to discontinue payments to BenQ Mobile in Germany

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I thought legendary Quam couldn't be topped... I was obviously wrong. Having shared 2 x Q's with you, I can only imagine the fun you're having right now. There's life after Q.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, and most important, never, ever hire with a company that carries a "Q" in their name.

:) Hi Mark! It's funny.

Do you know I gave a name "BenKill Tester" to my app? This is my understanding on "Q"~ :P

I didn't expect this happened so fast.

Man, gogogo!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home